Saturday, April 8, 2017

SNGF: Family Numbers

Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun (SNGF) challenge this week caught my attention.

Your mission this week, should you decide to accept it, is to:
1) Pick one of your sets of great-grandparents - if possible, the one with the most descendants.
2) Create a descendants list for those great-grandparents either by hand or in your software program. 3) Tell us how many descendants, living or dead, are in each generation from those great-grandparents.
4) How many are still living? Of those, how many have you met and exchanged family information with? Are there any that you should make contact with ASAP? Please don't use last names of living people for this - respect their privacy.
5) Write about it in your own blog post, in comments to this post, or in comments or a Note.

1) I've selected my mother's father's father and mother, John Hiram Richmon Sharpe SWICEGOOD and Marth Elizabeth COFFEY for this challenge. I've actually been working on this line, and John Hiram's siblings lines, recently.

2) I created an outline descendant chart in Family TreeMaker.

3) Children: John and Martha had four children. One died at birth. The other three are all dead.
    Grandchildren: 7; one (my uncle, age 91+, still living
    Great grandchildren: 17; all living except 2
    Great great grandchildren: at least 14; all living; probably more from a line I can't seem to trace
    3rd great grandchildren: at least 10; all living; probably more from a line I can't seem to trace
    4th great grandchildren; none that I know of

4) I am in contact with all of my first cousins, at least to some extent. As a child, I met both of my grandfather's sisters. They scared the heck out of me. My grandfather's older sister had no children. His younger sister had one son, who I apparently met as a young child. He died in Colorado in 1975 and I have not had much luck tracing his descendants. Total increase is at least 48.

I need to try harder to track down the descendants of my grandfather's younger sister. I'm pretty sure my living uncle is the only descendant of his grandparents on both sides still living.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job. Best of luck in tracking down your grandfather's younger sister's descendants.

    ReplyDelete