1. Find the Day of the Week one of your Grandfathers was born;
2. List five events that occurred on the day and month of your Grandfather's birth;
3. List five famous people who were born on the same day as your Grandfather;
4. Give your answers in a blog post.
My paternal grandfather, Harold Herbert SHARP, was born in Oquawka, Henderson County, Illinois on 21 May 1893. I never met the man and didn't even know his name until a number of years after my father, his second son, had died.
21 May 1893 was a Sunday (according to http://www.infoplease.com/calendar ). I guess that means that Harold should have been "full of grace," but he died from alcoholism, so either the date or poem is wrong.
According to http://historyorb.com, the following events occurred on May 21st:
- 1602 Martha's Vineyard was first sighted by Captain Bartholomew Gosnold
- 1804 Lewis and Clark expedition began
- 1832 first Democratic National Convention was held in Baltimore
- 1846 first steamship arrived in Hawaii
- 1881 American Red Cross was founded by Clara Barton
- 1527 Phillip II, King of Spain (1556-98) & Portugal (1580-98)
- 1780 Elizabeth Fry, Quaker minister/prison reformer/nurse
- 1843 Charles-Albert Gobat, Tramelan, Switzerland, Swiss politician, recipient of the 1902 Nobel Peace Prize
- 1843 Louis Renault, French lawyer [namesake of my first car???]
- 1917 Dennis Day, Irish tenor/comedian/Jack Benny Show guest