Sunday, May 12, 2013

Remembering My Mom on Mother's Day

My mother, Nancy Leah [Swicegood] Sharp, died over 16 years ago. Sometimes it seems like just yesterday. Other times it seems like a lifetime since she left us.


I found this photo in a box of old glass slides a couple of years ago and scanned it. It was apparently taken on the day of my third birthday party in Grant Heights, Tokyo, Japan. I don't remember my Mom ever being so skinny or so relaxed, but then again I don't remember her before she had 4 kids! She would have been 34 in this photo and it is probably my favorite photo of her. Wish I'd found it sooner!

I also wish I'd pushed my mother to answer more questions about HER life. We worked on researching her family history together for many years, but I could never get her to talk about her own life. She was quite miffed when her favorite aunt told me about her first baby who died at about 10 days old and a little about her first marriage. She had never admitted either to any of her surviving children.

As I've been attempting to piece together both of my parents' lives, it's astounding how much I don't know about them....and how each of us four kids have different perceptions about when and where they met, what their early married life and childhoods were like, etc. My Dad never talked about his family; didn't even know his mother's maiden name. He left home at a young age and never looked back...and absolutely would not talk about his childhood.

I am happy to say that I have mostly positive memories of my parents. Yes, my Dad was pretty tough on us, but what else what you expect of an Army captain? And both Mom and Dad were outrageously intelligent and instilled a love of learning in all of us. Now if I could just learn more about THEIR lives....

No comments:

Post a Comment