- What was your first illness as a child?
- What was the first funeral you attended?
- What was your favorite book as a child?
- What was your favorite class in elementary school?
- What was your favorite toy as a child?
- Did you learn how to swim and, if so, where did you learn?
1. I have no idea what my very first illness was, but have seen pictures of me with the mumps when I was about 2-1/2 years old.
2. The first funeral I attended was my father's in 1978. He died at 60 and the only way I kept myself from falling apart was squeezing my 3-month-old daughter.
3. My favorite book as a child was Misty of Chincoteague. It was a bit of a let-down when I visited the island in 1970.
4. My favorite GRADE in elementary school was 4th grade with Mrs. Torkelson. I still have a postcard she sent me the next summer. As for subject, I always loved math, even if girls weren't supposed to [until 9th grade geometry, that is].
5. My favorite toy would have been whatever sporting equipment was needed for the season. Baseball, glove and bat; bicycle; ice skates; skis; tennis racquet; basketball.....
6. I learned to swim at the officer's club at Vint Hill Farms Station outside of Warrenton, VA at about age 7. I remember begging our Dad to swim with us and that after he did, he spent weeks with his ears painted with some red-orange stuff. But it sure was fun being tossed around in the pool!
I keep hoping our kids will be interested in our lives at some point, so hope this blog will still be around when they are!